Sunday, May 2, 2010

The things that bother us about Christianity

I didn't intend for my first blog post to be a book recommendation, but this little book released last 2009 seems to capture (I say this because I  haven't read it yet) the questions, the struggles, the issues that are on my to-study list. 

The author, Pastor Ed Gungor of  Oklahoma, addresses heads-on the doubts that we might have had and let's face it, the situations that make it downright uncomfortable to be a Christian these days.  In his intro, he says:

"The reason I wrote this book is because I didn't want to ignore the fact that some things about Christianity are just plain messy. In recent years there have been lots of atheistic books that attack the Christian faith. I think some of their attacks need a response from the Christian community-but one that is both fresh and humble. In "What Bothers Me Most About Christianity" I try to do that. In this writing I explore the most difficult aspects of the Christian faith, including...



Why doesn't God just show Himself?


Why does a loving God allow evil in His world?


If the Christian faith is so good, why are some Christians so bad?


Why was God so harsh during Old Testament times?


Why is the Christian faith so exclusive?"

Now here's what he said that I like the most:

"I honestly believe that having faith does not demand intellectual suicide. There are reasonable responses to these difficult questions. This book will equip you to better represent your faith to everyone around you."

Oh, and the title of  his work?  It's a keeper (and on my Amazon wish list) - What Bothers Me Most About Christianity:  Honest Reflections from an Open-Minded Christ Follower.


No comments:

Post a Comment